Steve Himmer over at Necessary Fiction was kind enough to ask me to compile research notes for What You Are Now Enjoying. I’m obsessed with this murky wonder of exactly what “creative research” might be, and so I had a lot of fun with this essay.
The piece opens with:
Here’s the mess I got myself into while conducting research for my story collection, What You Are Now Enjoying:
- nipple creams
- bubble algae
- exotic fruits and vegetables
- Internet ads for sister wives, written by secular polygamists
- hand-fishing for six-foot-long nest-guarding male catfish
- tumors packed with bits of hair and teeth and fingernails (thank you, Margaret Atwood)
- the world’s largest wave pool
- bare-chested female skin divers in ancient Japan
- Wonder Woman
You can read the full essay here.