- I will also get to talk about my “Eye for the Weird” at the Tippecanoe County Public Library on November 9. Details soon.
- Excited to give a talk called “An Eye for the Weird” at Muncie Public Library’s Gathering of Book Clubs event on May 8th at noon. I will share about how I think Indiana and the midwest have shaped the surreal, strange aspects of my fiction.
- Looking forward to giving the keynote address at the Women’s Expo on March 4th, held at the Frankfort Community Public Library in Frankfort, Indiana. The event will celebrate women owned businesses, and proceeds raised from a raffle will support Rainbow Haven, a women’s shelter.
- On March 23rd I get to talk with students at Corpus Christi School in Evansville, Indiana about how important silliness and play can be in storytelling.
- Excited to talk about writing through the mess in order to reach a final draft at the 2017 Gathering of Writers on March 25th, hosted by the Indiana Writers Center. You can register here.
- Super excited to lead a workshop at Mid-American Review’s 16th Winter Wheat Conference, November 3-5th. Come join me for “Fairytale Lessons in Craft: Licking Your Writing Clean” and many other wonderful sessions. You can register here.
- I’ll be reading at Indiana State University on October 26th at 4pm.
- The dinner for the 2016 Indiana Authors Award will take place at the beautiful Indianapolis Central Library on October 29th. I’m a finalist in the emerging category, and the winner will be announced that evening! Preceded by an entire day of exciting literary events, tickets to the award dinner can be purchased here.
- Come camp with me! Emily Capettini and I will be leading a weekend-long fiction workshop June 10-12 on the property of the amazing Sundress Academy for the Arts’ Firefly Farms. Let’s pitch a tent and talk about slanted ways to enter our fiction. More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1022840677761732/1056546854391114/.
- Extremely excited to be a part of the Kelly Writers Series at DePauw University–my alma mater! April 3 at 7:30pm, Peeler Art Center Auditorium.
- Looking forward to a residency at Sundress Academy for the Arts’ Firefly Farms, where I’ll get to hang out with the farm animals and dive into some writing projects. Thank you, SAFTA!
- Visiting Writer at Penn State Behrend in Erie, PA on April 30th. 5:30 reception followed by 6pm reading in Smith Chapel. I’ve heard rumors about really good cookies at the reception…
- Visiting fiction writer at WordFest, hosted by the MFA program at California State University at Fresno–home of the wonderfully abnormal Normal School! Details to come.
- Visiting Late Night Library in Portland, Oregon as part of their visiting writers series on December 5. More details to come!
- Reading at Medaille College in Buffalo on November 14.
- Thursday October 3 @11am, speaking with MFA grad students at West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Thursday October 3 @7pm, reading at Barnes and Noble, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Friday October 4 @7pm, reading at Millvale Community Library, Pittsburgh, PA
- Late Night Library’s Battle of the Books @Brooklyn Fire Proof. An official Brooklyn Book Festival event, I’m participating in a NCAA tournament style shebang with 15 other debut writers! Thursday September 19 @7pm.
- A mini-workshop on “Writing the Unknown” and a reading at Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Cincinnati, Tuesday 8/6 @7pm.
- Book signing at the Lake Superior Trading Post in Grand Marais, MN. July 19 from 1-3pm. I grew up shopping at this phenomenal store after long, treachorous camping trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness as a kid–was always a much needed dose of civilization! My short story “Vanishing Point” (in What You Are Now Enjoying) and my novel in progress both take place in this amazing pocket of the world.
- Teaching a workshop, “Writing the Unknown,” for the kick-off of summer at the Indiana Writers Center on June 1 @10am and at 826michigan on June 2 @11am. If you are in the area, come join me! I’ll also be reading and chatting about the unknown and the weird and the strange and the fantastic at Literati Bookstore in Ann Arbor on June 2 @3pm.
- Reading and chatting with students at Middlesex School in Concord, MA on May 4.
- Panel on Successful Small Press Publishing at Grub Street’s Muse and the Marketplace Conference, (during the “Hour of Power” on May 5) with L. Annette Binder, Ron MacLean, and Ilan Mochari.
- Reading in the Sunday Salon in Chicago, curated by Gina Frangello. May 19!
- Giving a talk on “Writing the Unknown” at 6pm on May 22, followed by a 7pm reading and signing at Talking Leaves Books in Buffalo.
- What You Are Now Enjoying longlisted for the Frank O’Connor International Short Story Award!
- Reading with the amazingly awesome Kelly Link and Leigh Newman in the Pen Parentis Literary Salon in NYC on April 9 @7pm! Andaz Wall Street, second floor, 75 Wall St. in Lower Manhattan.
- AWP Boston, March 6-9.
- Thursday, March 7: 10:30am, Grub Street Presents the Icon, the Immigrant, the Bookie, and the Superhero–moderated by Steve Almond (reading and Q&A), Patricia Olson Bookfair Stage, Exhibit Hall A.
- Thursday, March 7: 2:00pm, signing WHAT YOU ARE NOW ENJOYING at the Autumn House Press table, E5, E6
- Friday, March 8: 10:00am, signing WHAT YOU ARE NOW ENJOYING at the Guernica Table
- What You Are Now Enjoying will join this world on February 15, 2013!!
- Fellowship to attend the Vermont Studio Center!
- First seminar at the Grub Street Launch Lab in Boston.
- Presented as the new 2012-13 Pen Parentis Fellow! Read from my work and received a $1,000 check on September 11th in NYC.
- Stewart O’Nan selects What You Are Now Enjoying as the winner of the 2012 Autumn House Press Fiction Prize! Forthcoming in early 2013.
- “Vanishing Point” selected as a finalist in The New Guard‘s fiction contest, judged by Rick Bass. Forthcoming Fall 2012.
- “My Husband’s House” selected by Kevin Wilson as a special mention in Copper Nickel‘s fiction contest. Forthcoming Fall 2012.